The Big E is a fair held in Springfield Mass every September. This year the fair started on September 18th and ends on October 4th. I try to go every year because there is so much to see and do. The gates open at 8am but everything else doesn't open/start until 10 am. I arrived at 10am and stayed until 7:30 pm. I suggest you park at gate 9. That is the largest parking lot and easy access to the gate. Cost to park there is $15. Cost to enter the fair is $20 and can be purchased at the gate. You do not have to purchase online and pay that extra online fee.
There is a midway section with rides and games. The ride ticket is an additional $40 so I did not go on any rides.
Food is everywhere! so much to choose from. I enjoyed a blooming onion for only $10. That was my appetizer to start the day.
For lunch I went to a restaurant in the storrowtown section of the fair. "Storrow Town tavern" I was not happy with my burger. It tasted burnt, but my fries were delicious. Then later while watching the Ox pull I had some delicious funnel cake.
Animals are everywhere. Piglets were born at the beginning of the fair. so cute. Then there were the clydesdales, Llama, sheep, cows, ox, goats and I love watching the baby chicks hatch,

There is also music all around the fair. One of the stages has some better known groups. That is the honor court stage. When I was there one group was all about the music of Queen. Later in the week Drew Baldridge was going to be there. I would have loved to see him as one of his songs was the one I danced to with my son at his wedding. Uncle Kraker performed there on opening day and chubby checker was going to be there later in the week.
My favorite entertainment was the parade that takes place everyday at 6pm.
There were several floats that were throwing out mardi gras beads. I ended up with over 10 bead necklaces.
Every New Englad State has a building at the fair. The most impressive building to me was Rhode Island. They had such a nice display when you entered then you walk around and can buy food from the area and buy Rhode Island products.
The Maine building had a long line at the loaded baked potato but I didn't like that the cheese was the melted nacho cheese.
Before leaving I had to make sure I found the butter sculpture. I have that pictured here below.
If you have the chance to go to Springfield, MA before October 4th, you DEFINITELY should go to
The Big E
Comments
Post a Comment